Thursday, July 27, 2006

Momentum, momentum, momentum

Designers / Artists / Writers. We are always talking about writers block, and ways to get around writer's block. It seems to me that one of the best ways of dealing with it, is actually a kind of mantra or rule I used to say when I first started my studio. One that I almost forgot in the last year or so... "Just start. Dont think too hard about it."

The important thing is to get something on the the paper, screen, score sheet or whatever your tool of choice is. You can edit and improve on something, but it's impossible to edit nothing.

"Money begats money. Creativity begats creativity."

It's pretty amazing how one image can lead to another, how one word leads to another. The mind s a wonderful thing, but must be exercised. I cannot begin to explain how often I'm in conversations and then a word, gesture, something sparks the imagination. Really, I wish I could document what my mind conjures up, but alas! My drawing skills are not on a par with my mind's eye. Therefore I should practice. And get the momentum going.

"Trust me, I'm a doctor..."

Actually I'm not, but you can trust me anyway. Heh. Or trust yourself. There are things that I knew before I knew them. (What?) Intuitively. Sometimes it's possible to tell that a thing will work, or that the design is on the right road before it's confirmed, or that a topic of thought is the correct one to write etc. Ideas should come to you if the brief was given the proper attention.

I read lots of blogs and how-to's et al, and verily I admire the great designers I come across on my internet travels - I do not have the experience that they have, but they dont have the experiences I have either. sometimes I have to "give myself permission" to think that my opinion is worth what it is. I've been in this game for a long time now, and I think I have something worth talking about. After all, this is my field of expertise, people dont ask me for advice on brain surgery, they ask me to make logos. :)

So, trust your judgement. Get something on the paper. Get the ball rolling. What do they say, "a rolling stone gathers no moss..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home